Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday night

Well, tonight was a bit of a home made dinner...at least half.

2 packages of tortellini (Oliviari, which I got marked down at $1.99 per package) $3.98
1-650g package of homemade spaghetti sauce (I cool my spaghetti sauce down then freeze it in washed out yogurt or cottage cheese containers) not fully sure of price, but approx $5.00

This is usually how I make my spaghetti sauce, but not always...lol...sometimes one must make due with what they have, even tomatoe soup!  ;)
6lb beef $13.00
2 large containers of Prego*pasta sauce $12.00
A couple of tablespoons of each to taste: garlic powder, oregano, basil, onion powder $1.00
2 medium cans tomato sauce $3.00
2 cans tomato paste $1.00
Costs about $30.00 to make this batch of sauce! I am approximating cost, as I have not made a batch in about two months, and have not purchased the ingredients to make it lately either, so I might be off on the big batch by maybe $2.00, which means that I might be wrong on the singles by maybe $0.40.

Simmer for at least an hour for the flavour to merry. Makes 6-650g plastic containers worth for freezing, which works for my family of four with occasionally leftovers(depending on my kids' growth spurts). I either take the sauce out the night before the meal to thaw in the fridge, or I take it out of the freezer and use a bit of hot water to get it out of the container and into a sauce pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment